(Photo: Sven Lachmann from Pixabay)
Pet safety during the holidays is probably not on your mind, but here are a few things to keep in mind during this time of year. O Christmas Tree: make sure to securely anchor your tree so that it doesn't tip and fall causing possible injury to your pet and your home. If you use a real tree, any type of additive in the tree water could cause stomach upset if your pet sneaks a drink from the bottom of the tree.
Got Tinsel? Kitties love sparkly tinsel. It's fun to bat around and easy to carry in their mouths, but a nibble can lead to a swallow which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting and possible surgery.
Forget the mistletoe and holly! If your pet ingests any of these plants they can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. Many types of lilies can cause kidney failure if ingested. Opt for silk or plastic plants if you can.
This is always a "bone" of contention with pet owners; please don't feed your pets leftovers. Too much fat in your pets' diet can lead to gastrointestinal upset, vomiting and diarrhea.
This is a tough one, wires. My cat loves to chew wires, so at holiday time I make sure that if my tree is unattended it is unplugged. Pets can get zapped by the wiring on the trees if they are plugged in, causing burns in their mouth and esophagus.
It is always fun to give your pet a stocking full of toys, make sure you choose gifts that are safe. Some ideas include: indestructible Kong toys, stuffed catnip toys, chew toys with treats, and interactive toys